Monday, September 2, 2013

Tour du Mont Blanc Flower Gallery

On our hike in the Queyras in 2009 I was blown away by the beautiful flowers in the Alps.  On that trip I only had a basic zoom lense (Canon EF-S 17-85mm F4-5.6 IS USM).  Since that time I have added a telephoto zoom (Canon EF 70-200mm F2.8L IS USM), and (more importantly for flower photography) a macro lense (Canon EF-S 60mm F2.8 USM).  I am much happier with the photos this time thanks to the macro, but I should share the downside of having this new equipment: weight. 
 
When hiking every extra gram of weight is a literal burden, so hikers are always on the look out for smaller and lighter equipment.  For example it is compulsory to bring a sleeping bag liner with you when staying in refuges.  But why pay $20 for the cotton version weighing 350g when for only $85 you can buy the 130g silk version and save 220g?  So in the context of this world of anorexic backpacks, it was not so great that my 2 extra lenses collectively weighed 1.3kg!  Now that the hike is over I will declare that it was worth it (a different answer to what I'd have given on Day 2), but given that David kindly took on some of the extra weight, you'll have to ask him for his view.
 







 
 














































































































3 comments:

  1. Dale, they are ridiculously good. Bee ones a highlight. You have shown me that I have a thing for insects!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I reckon that's one bad ass butterfly. Great shots. My macro is the lens I have neglected most on my trip so far. Perhaps I ought to put it on more often. (Admittedly there aren't nearly so many flowers in Iceland - but they do exist.)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful photos Dale, bravo twice: lugging the gear and execution.

    ReplyDelete